Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Big Sigh

Where to begin.....

This past week has been a crazy one for us.  We found out first thing last Monday morning that Aaron's Mammaw (grandma) was in ICU in Asheville with double pneumonia.  She still is as of today.  While she has been there, we have since found out that the artery that goes from heart to her stomach is 90% blocked and that has been causing a lot of her stomach pain.  Tomorrow she will get a stint put in that.  Because she has a pacemaker they checked her heart out....sometime in the past, she has a very light heart attack that went unnoticed and undetected.  She has minimal damage, but it does not look like it is going to cause her any future problems.  With Aaron's mom staying at the hospital round-the-clock, we made the decision to go get his dad and bring him home with us.  Because of his dad's history of strokes, diabetes complications, and falling; we just felt it was better to have him with us.  We were all set to leave at lunch time on Thursday and head to Morganton and come back on Saturday.  You know what they say about best laid plans.  A horrible migraine hit me late Wednesday morning causing me to leave work early.  Yep, I had to work all day on Thursday.  I walked out of the office at 650 Thursday night.  We got to Morganton at 1:30 Friday morning.  We made the trip to Asheville Friday morning and we came back home Friday night.  Saturday was a lazy day for us as we all recuperated from the long drive.  On top of it all, I was dealing with the after-effects of the migraine, and that is no picnic.

Yesterday I ate as I pleased because I knew that today was officially going to be my first day back on Visalus.  What better day to start day 1 than on May 1!  Started the day off with a banana pudding shake.  Snack was a piece of string cheese and lunch was left over spaghetti and a pepsi.  I haven't been drinking water like I need to today, but it's coming.  I weighed and checked my measurements this morning....talk about a depressing cry.  It was.  I've got my big girl panties on and I'm going to deal with it one day at a time, one shake at a time, one bottle of water at a time.  I didn't put this weight all on over night and I know that it is not going to all come off over night (as depressing as that realization is).  The weight/fat gain combined with fibromyalgia plus all of the other health problems I have are not good for me at all.  I have accepted this and I know that I am the only that can do anything about it and it's time for me to just do it.  So, that's what I am doing.

It really helps that we have Aaron's dad with us.  Because of his diabetes and shot schedule, he has to eat at a certain time, plus he has to be careful what he eats.  Which means I have to be careful what he eats.  Having to cook for him is going to mean less going out to eat for me.  Which also means that I can bring leftovers for lunch instead of going out to eat and hitting drive thrus so much.  It is definitely an adjustment for us having someone there other than us, but I think overall it's been a pretty smooth transition. 

I guess I better close for the day...still catching up at work and I have to get seriously busy on the VBS Training I am leading Saturday.  Oh yeah....read "Table for Five" by Susan Wiggs over the weekend...one of the BEST books I have ever read.  I printed off the list of all of her books to start reading!!  Started reading "The Rescue" by Nicholas Sparks last night....so far, so good.  Because it is set in Edenton it holds an even more special place in my heart.  Will let you know how it turns out for me.......

Much Love & Happy Trails!!

No comments:

Post a Comment